Five lessons on dating and relationships that Master of None teaches us

May 17, 2017
Article Promo Image

With the long-awaited arrival of season two finally gracing our Netflix accounts, Master of None is back to make us feel all the relatable af feels. When it comes to love, dating and relationships, Aziz Ansari hits the nail on the end when it comes to all the dating mishaps, relationship challenges and single struggles his character Dev experiences throughout both seasons. While you’re binging your way through season two, these are the lessons to take on board into your own dating life.

Bring your A game to the first message and first date

Dev actually has his shit sorted when it comes to making a good first impression (well, most of the time). If you want to stand out on Tinder, you really need to start a message with something other than the generic “Hey” or “Hi”. Although you can’t exactly steal Dev’s message since there’s no Whole Foods in Aus, it can still inspire you to think outside the box. If you want to stand out, give them mystery and intrigue (even if that means been copying and pasting that same message to everyone).

And if you’re organising the first date, the same basic principle applies. Go outside the box – maybe organising a trip away is a bit extreme if you’ve never met the person before, but go for something other than the standard dinner and drinks if you want a date that will be remembered.

Dating apps can make you feel even more disappointed in your dating life

Contradicting the last point, if you’re going out on a lot of Tinder dates, it can be hard to make every date special and unique, which is why Dev takes all his dates to the same restaurant and bar. Dev’s experience really does give a good summary of what dating in a world of dating apps is like – while sometimes it can be fun to meet new people, for the most part you’re going to be disapointed and matching with very incompatible people.

Once Dev narrows down his options to the girls he’d like to pursue things further with, he’s left with one girl who’s not interested, one girl who he has zero chemistry with on the second date and a girl who he sleeps with before realising she might be a bit racist. He’s clearly exhausted at the end of it and no closer to finding the one, which is a feeling all of us singles can relate to.

Being the other man/woman is probably a bad idea

I say probably because in the two instances where Dev is the “other man” in the show, it doesn’t actually end that badly. Throwback to season one when Dev started sleeping with married woman Nina (Claire Dane), remember that ended with the married couple rekindling their love because of the affair? Or the totally cliff hanger ending of season two (spoiler alert) where Dev and Francesca are seen in bed, with Francesca no longer wearing her engagement ring?

So is Master of None trying to tell us that being the other man/woman is a good idea and that everything’ll work out in the end? Not exactly. Both scenarios don’t exactly make it look like a picnic. It’s messy, people’s feelings get hurt and it’s not ideal for anyone involved. Even if there’s a 1 per cent chance things will work out well, it’s probably 99 per cent going to end badly.

Texting your ex won’t help you move on

We’ve all been there – when you’re still fresh out of a break up, you can’t imagine not talking to that person. You’ll put yourself through the pain of messaging and stalking your ex because you can’t imagine them not being in your life at all. This happens to Dev when he’s unlucky in love in Italy, resorting to messaging Rachel again when things aren’t working out for his love life. But in the process of moving on, being friends with an ex initially is pretty hard; even if you think it’ll be fine in the long run, you might want to have a cool-off period before you jump from a relationship to the friend zone.

Your life goals should come first

At the end of the day, if you put a relationship before your career and life goals, you’re probably going to have problems. While it wasn’t the sole reason for the breakup, part of the reason Dev and Rachel broke up may have had to do with being unhappy in the other aspects of their lives. Rachel's dream of living and working in Tokyo was never going to be condusive with Dev's plans to act in New York or make pasta in Italy. If you’re putting your dream on hold because you and your partner have different directions, you’ll inevitably be miserable.

Image: Master of None

×